Heads of Government of Hungary, the Slovak Republic, the Czech Republic, the Republic of Poland, and the President of the Republic of Korea (RoK) met on November 4, 2021 in Budapest at the Second Summit Meeting between the V4 and the RoK. The participating countries were represented by H.E. Mr. Viktor Orbán, Prime Minister of Hungary, H.E. Mr. Eduard Heger, Prime Minister of the Slovak Republic, H.E. Mr. Andrej Babis, Prime Minister of the Czech Republic, H.E. Mr. Mateusz Morawiecki, Prime Minister of the Republic of Poland, and H.E. Moon Jae-in, President of the Republic of Korea.
- The V4 and the RoK reviewed the scope of their cooperation and common activities, intending to take further steps to enhance mutual relations in the future.
- The V4 and the RoK noted with great satisfaction the substantial political, economic and cultural ties—based on the shared universal values of fundamental freedoms, democracy, human rights, market economy, the rule of law and good governance—that have been developed since the establishment of the diplomatic relations between participating countries. Both sides highlighted the fact that the cooperation between the V4 countries and the RoK represents an integral part of the EU–RoK strategic partnership and has a tangible added value to that cooperation.
II. V4–RoK Cooperation
- To meet the challenge of cooperation in a wide range of political and security issues, the V4 and the RoK agreed to intensify their political dialogues and expand highlevel exchanges.
- The V4 appreciated the financial contribution of the RoK to the International Visegrad Fund’s (IVF) projects, including the recent V4 East Solidarity program that has effectively supported the Eastern Partnership countries in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic. The V4 and the ROK agreed to discuss the continuation of their successful cooperation in the framework of the IVF.
- The V4 and the RoK pointed out the importance of the V4-ROK partnership in fighting the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, including its socio-economic impacts. The V4 and the RoK expressed their commitment to exchange best practices and joint promotion of achievements of the V4 and the ROK in the field of pharmaceutical industry. In this regard, the Participants look forward to the 13th ASEM Summit to discuss the ways of strengthening multilateralism and dialogue between Europe and Asia in addressing the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The V4 and the RoK welcomed the significant results in developing mutually beneficial and complementary economic cooperation since the establishments of their diplomatic ties. The Participants committed themselves to working towards further strengthening of mutual trade and investment to their mutual advantage. In this regard, the V4 and the RoK welcomed the V4–RoK Business Forum and agreed to promote mutual cooperation in emerging areas such as battery industry and other new industries. The V4 and the RoK shared their views on the importance of promoting essential personnel exchange in case of an outbreak of novel infectious disease.
- The V4 and the RoK agreed on the importance of building innovative and creative economies. In this regard, the Participants shared the view that their continued cooperation in the fields of higher education, finance, R&D, science, technology and innovation represents an important contribution. The V4 and the RoK expressed readiness to continue their joint initiatives in this field, such as the V4–RoK Joint Research Program, and to explore the possibilities to continue the RoK–V4 Knowledge Sharing Program.
- The V4 and the RoK agreed to raise awareness among enterprises from the pharmaceutical and biotechnological sectors for business opportunities and perspectives in the V4 and the RoK.
- The V4 and the RoK acknowledged the importance of further developing infrastructure in Central and Eastern Europe to facilitate economic growth, which would explore opportunities for transport and infrastructure cooperation, including nuclear power plants, airports, highways, railways and ITS (Intelligent Transport System), among others. The Participants welcomed the idea to establish a highspeed rail line connecting the V4 countries.
- The V4 and the RoK shared their views on the importance of digital transformation as the key for future progress of their economies and societies, thus the Participants decided to tighten their collaboration and joint actions in the field of digitalization, digital technologies and applications.
- The V4 and the RoK agreed that the possibility of furthering cooperation in the areas of national defence and defence industry should be explored.
- The V4 and the RoK agreed on the importance of the promotion of cultural cooperation, twinning projects and people-to-people exchanges in order to enhance mutual understanding of their respective cultures in the partner countries.
III. Global Challenges
- The V4 and the RoK welcomed that the strategic partnership between the EU and the RoK has made substantial progress in recent years and expressed their commitment to the further development of comprehensive, multi-sectoral and mutually beneficial relations, based on the RoK–EU Framework Agreement and other strategic agreements.
- The V4 and the RoK acknowledged the goal to strengthen their dialogue and cooperation on global issues, including green transition, development cooperation, digital transition, cyber security, health security, organized crime and combating terrorism, migration and refugee issues, promoting free trade, and agreed to continue close consultations in respective areas.
- The V4 and the ROK exchanged views on the worldwide situation regarding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic crises. In particular, the V4 and the ROK pointed out the significance of the fair distribution of COVID-19 vaccines to all countries.
- The V4 and the RoK agreed that the stability of Afghanistan remains an important key to European and Asian security. In this regard, the Participants shared their views on the need to mitigate the risks associated with migration and a spread of terrorism that could destabilize the region and pose serious challenges to global security. The V4 and the RoK underlined the essential importance of multilateral dialogue and close cooperation between the European Union, the United States, NATO and all regional stakeholders.
- The V4 and the RoK agreed that tackling these challenges requires addressing the root causes of an unprecedented scale of migration and human suffering, while increasing the protection of human rights. The Participants shared the view that close political and operational cooperation with the states of origin and transit of the migrants is essential.
- The V4 and the RoK discussed the situation on the Korean Peninsula. The V4 reaffirmed their support for the RoK’s ongoing efforts to engage with the DPRK to achieve the complete denuclearization and permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula. The V4 also welcomed the RoK's proposal to declare an end to the Korean War. Both Sides stressed the importance of resuming sustainable dialogue amongst all concerned parties, including through the full and expeditious implementation of previous inter-Korean and U.S.–DPRK commitments such as the 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the Pyongyang Joint Declaration and the Singapore Joint Statement. The V4 and the RoK also reiterated the importance of the full implementation of relevant UN Security Council resolutions.
Budapest, November 4, 2021